Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Can you read me now?

Pardon the lack of posts from the Ag Media Summit in Louisville, Kentucky, but it's a case of technology not always being cooperative.

It's not for a lack of trying.

I have spent several hours on the phone attempting to get technical support for internet access to my hotel room ... and a considerable amount of time with a tech support person in India who, unfortunately, was still unable to provide internet access but pleasantly told me he would charge for the internet access I was supposedly supposed to be able to have. I also had a tech engineer from our hotel working on the problem as late as midnight one night, telling me the internet cables in the room are bascially crap, that there are often problems with them, and he then changed cables — which still didn't work.

So how is this post being done?

I am sitting in my upper floor hotel room, leaning against a window, and pointing my computer in the direction of a cheaper hotel across the street that has internet access. Occasionally, at odd times and short periods of time, I can access that hotel's free internet service. But as mentioned, it is very spotty.

I realize I am not the only one with this problem. This has been the biggest complaint among the 500 or so ag communicators from the country that are here at this hotel: internet access has been awful.

It also showed us how many of us depend on the internet for our jobs and what happens when we are limited in communication. The people who had purchased internet access cards from phone companies that could be plugged into the sides of their computers did much better under these circumstances.

For Blogriculture readers, I promise to write more within the next couple of days.

Technorati tags:

1 comment:

threecollie said...

So glad you found a way to get around the technological black hole and are posting again. We missed you.
Congrats to all on the awards! Good job!

Ag in the West social media watch

Capital Press videos on YouTube

Our most popular videos