Wednesday, March 15, 2006

A trial transplanting of Blogriculture

This is a bit of an experiment. I've been writing a "blog," so to speak, over on our Capital Press website, but as blogs go, it was pretty clunky. Our site was built to handle news stories, not blogs, comments, multiple blog links and all that stuff. Consequently, I wasn't happy with interface and I also wasn't posting very often.

So, I've decided to use an actual blog program to see if we can't get a little more interactivity going. My theory is people looking for a blog, even if it is an agriculture related blog, would search blog indexes to find it. Spring is only a few days away, so it seemed a good time to do some planting.

So, we'll see how this test goes.

I have started moving, or more precisely copying, some of my previous blog posts from the Capital Press site here. I haven't decided if I'll move them all or not, but it does provide a little seed bed to get this particular site rolling. Here you can also read some of the previous posts I've written about why I started that blog in the first place.

My search for agriculture related blogs continues, but thanks to Capital Press readers, we have several blog and ag sites here in our links.

I'm also on the lookout for other agriculture and agribusiness sites that utilize new media resources. My new obsession is looking for ag-related podcasts. There are a few out there, but some appear to be inactive and most are based in the Midwest or somewhere else, which I'm thinking may not be of much use to West Coast farmers, ranchers and agribusinesses as the seasons and commodities won't overlap too much.

But then again, trying to address agriculture topics in four-plus Western states from the Mexico to Canadian borders covers a lot of climates, growing seasons and commodities as well.

So, if you've stumbled across this site, welcome. If you have found some ag-related resources you'd like to share, leave a comment or send me an e-mail.



No comments:

Ag in the West social media watch

Capital Press videos on YouTube

Our most popular videos