Friday, February 10, 2006

Go to Tulare, see the world

If I ever had any doubt whether the World Ag Expo in Tulare, Calif., is a global event, my mom would have put that to rest this week.

I got an e-mail message from my mother yesterday, saying I should look for her friend Max next week when I'm in Tulare for the Expo, which runs Feb. 14-16.

Max is a grower from Australia who is visiting the United States, and one of his stops will be the World Ag Expo.

He certainly won't be alone, as thousands of farmers, ranchers and agribusiness professionals will descend on the small San Joaquin Valley town for the mammoth farm show.

I'm thinking the odds I'll bump into Max are pretty slim.

But if you will be in Tulare next week, I can give you a few pointers on how you can find one or more of the 10 members of the Capital Press staff who will be there.

A good place to look would be at one of the two Capital Press booth located in the exhibit pavilions at the International Agri-Center grounds.

Editor and Publisher Elaine Shein will be leading the Capital Press delegation attending the Expo.

And if you can’t make it to the show, you can turn to the Capital Press and CapitalPress.com for coverage of some of the highlights of the 2006 Expo. Reporters Ali Bay and Chip Power will be providing details on the show in the Feb. 17 and Feb. 24 issues of Capital Press. And starting Tuesday, Bay, Power and I will post live updates and stories here on the Capital Press website. Our goal is to provide at least two updates each day, which will be quite a chore, because the show is so big and there is so much going on, it will be tough to break away to sit in front of a laptop to write for fear that we will miss something important or not see all there is to see in just three short days.

But we do want to share as much as we can of what we see and hear at the Expo with you, and this blog and the home page of our website will be where you can check in on some of the happenings in Tulare.

Personally, I’m looking forward to the show. It’s been a few years since I’ve been to the Tulare farm show. In fact the last time I was there, back in 1999 when I was editor of a daily newspaper in neighboring Porterville, the show had a different name. Back then the show was known as the California Farm Equipment Show and International Exposition.

Since then, the name got smaller, but the show has continued to grow.

So if we don’t see you in Tulare, you can see some of Tulare right here at CapitalPress.com.

And if you see Max, tell him to look for me in a green Capital Press cap.

Related Stories:
Early sell-out, new exhibits for 2006 Ag Expo
Heading to the Expo

Tags


No comments:

Ag in the West social media watch

Capital Press videos on YouTube

Our most popular videos